Simplified Call & "Duty" Hour Guidelines for Students
1. Students should not start workday activities before Junior Housestaff (Pgy-1) or 5:00 a.m.
2. Effort will be made to end the student workday by 6:00 p.m. on non-call days.
3. Students who are immediately post overnight call should end their workday by 12 noon.
4. In planning the student call schedule - please note:
- One day in seven should be completely free of work. (Two weekends in the 6-week General Surgery block should be free also.)
- Students will not take call the night before major exams (OSCE/NBME)
- Overnight (in-house) call for General Surgery -
· Minimum of 5
· Maximum of 10 (every 4th night for 6-week block). The call will not exceed 2 calls in 6 consecutive day
- Classroom time, study time and review sessions generally will not be counted as work hours. Patient care related conferences/rounds are part of the workday.